ITALIAN RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
Torta di Ricotta by Giuilano Hazan
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours
- FOR THE PASTRY CRUST
- 2 Cups All purpose flour, plus extra for rolling the crust
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 grated zest of lemon
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 on the regular bake setting.
- Put the 2 cups flour, sugar, butter, egg yolks, lemon zest, and salt in a food processor and run the processor until mixed well together. If the mixture is too dry, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms a smooth dough when you roll it between your fingers.
- Transfer the dough to a counter and orm into a smooth ball. Remove the bottom of a 2-inch-deep, 9-inch-diameter tart pan or a 9-inch springform pan and put it in the center of your work counter. Sprinkle a little four on the counter around the edges of the pan bottom and place the dough in the middle of the pan bottom. Flatten the dough a bit with your hands, then use a rolling pin to roll it out 1/8 inch thick. Loosen the edges that extend past the pan bottom with a pastry scraper, then use the scraper to lift the pan bottom and the dough. Carefully lower into the ring of the tart or springform pan. Patch any tears or holes, making sure the dough comes all the way up the sides. Cut off any excess dough at the top. Lightly press a sheet of sluminum foil over the dough and cover with pie weights or dried beans. Put the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and weights, return the crust to the oven, and bake until very lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
ITALIAN RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
Torta di Ricotta By Giuliano Hazan. The pie will keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespooons 10x confectioner\'s sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (1 pound) whole-milk ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied citron (optional)
- While the pie crust is baking, make the ricotta filling. Whip the egg, egg yok, and granulated sugar in an electic mixer on high speed until the mixture is smooth and pale yellow. Add the flour, confectioner\'s sugar, and vanilla and mix until homogeneous. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking on medium-low speed. Add the ricotta and mix throughly. Stir in the candied citron by hand with a rubber spatula.
- After the crust is done, raise the oven temperature to 375.
- Pour the ricotta filling into the pie crust and bake until the filling is firm and begins to brown on top, about 11/4 hours. Test by jiggling the pan gently. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Regrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving. Serve chlled.